Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is [verb stem] + たかない different than [verb stem] + たくない? What does it mean?

11人いる

share|improve this question

I believe it was discussed somewhere that it's better not to post manga pages if it can be avoided, due to copyright issues. If you could find a way to include the relevant context in the text of your question it would be an upvote from me ;) –  ジョン Apr 16 '12 at 10:41
@ジョン Well ianal, but just an image like this.. it should be allowed: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use –  Pacerier Apr 16 '12 at 11:06
@Pacerier Good point and in this case probably true, but the nature of this community means that allowing something once sets a precedent of acceptance. Would it still be fair use if there was another question with a different page from the same manga? How about 5 more? I'm also NAL so my concerns could be unfounded. Sorry if that's the case. –  ジョン Apr 18 '12 at 7:30

1 Answer 1

up vote 11 down vote accepted

It's a colloquial, contracted form for ~~たく"は"ない, '(you) wouldn't want to~~'. Just as you say あまくみてはいかん to mean あまくみてはいけない.

share|improve this answer
Nitpicking: いかん is not really a contracted form for いけない, but a contracted form for いかぬ, the classical-Japanese equivalent for いけない. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Apr 16 '12 at 8:52
@TsuyoshiIto: On the other hand, when one sees forms like 〜んかった, one begins to wonder... (The historically correct form, apparently, is 〜なんだ.) –  Zhen Lin Apr 16 '12 at 9:47

@TsuyoshiIto-san, またやってしまいました・・・ ZhenLin-san, What is '~~んかった'?? –  Choko Apr 16 '12 at 13:09
@Zhen Lin: That is a good point. I think that both ~んかった and ~なんだ use different conjugations of negative ぬ from the usual ones in the classical Japanese, but I am not sure. Chocolate: I suppose that Zhen Lin is talking about the form such as せんかった for しなかった and いかんかった for いけなかった, which I think is used in some dialects (but I cannot point out which dialects). –  Tsuyoshi Ito Apr 16 '12 at 13:31

@Jesse: I do not know what your comment is supposed to mean. (Not that I would like to argue about it.) –  Tsuyoshi Ito Apr 16 '12 at 23:19

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.