Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I would like to know if there are other ways to say "at least~" (context below), along with the relevant nuances of each way.

This is for a piece of writing I'm doing where for the sake of style I want to avoid using the same phrase too many times. That said, please do include answers that may only be suitable for speech or conversation.

I am referring to "at least~" as used in the following context:

It looks like I won't be able to return to Japan for at least 6 months
少なくとも6ヶ月の間日本に帰れないみたです。

(in other words I'm not looking for answers referring to phrases like せめて〜, which translates to a different meaning of the English phrase "at least")

share|improve this question

Hmm, not sure why my markdown in the Japanese example sentence failed... it looks fine in the preview. –  ジョン Apr 10 '12 at 19:02
Yeah, the asterisks, etc. markdown don't work for Japanese text. You have to use html tags. –  istrasci Apr 10 '12 at 19:17

That's useful to know - thanks :) –  ジョン Apr 10 '12 at 19:18

Just as in English, we would consult a thesaurus, in Japanese, you can consult a 類語辞典. –  Jesse Good Apr 12 '12 at 1:56

@Jesse Thanks for the link. I wouldn't normally think to use a thesaurus for what is more of a grammar question about the nuance of phrases. –  ジョン Apr 12 '12 at 13:08

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted
  • 最短で 'for the shortest'
  • 少なく見積もって 'under the least/shortest estimate'
  • as in 六か月は
share|improve this answer

Also, 以上, for example 6ヶ月以上. –  Jesse Good Apr 12 '12 at 1:58

@Jesse I could be wrong, but the nuance of 以上 seems different, like "for more than 6 months" rather than "at least 6 months", so not really what I'm looking for. –  ジョン Apr 12 '12 at 13:01

@ジョン It does not mean more than six months. It means six months or more, which is the same as at least six months, distegarding the implication. –  user458 Apr 12 '12 at 14:07
@sawa Sorry for the confusion. The implication you mention is what I was referring to in my comment, but I see that I phrased it poorly. That's why 以上 seems less suitable to me than the examples in your answer. For future reference am I correct in thinking this or am I making a mistake? –  ジョン Apr 12 '12 at 14:36

@ジョン I agree with you about the implication. You are right. –  user458 Apr 12 '12 at 14:40

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.