Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is there a Japanese idiom equivalent to "take with a grain of salt"?

In other words, an idiom which means "don't accept this information as completely true or the complete truth".

share|improve this question
I would say that that idiom means a little more "don't immediately accept this information as true (until you learn more)". It doesn't mean that the information in question is actually false, but that it may be colored or prejudiced in some way. It's a way of telling someone to listen to the information and make their own conclusion. –  silvermaple Apr 10 '12 at 5:45

To help people out with the expression, here's a wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grain_of_salt I actually found it pretty interesting :) –  silvermaple Apr 10 '12 at 15:52
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 9 down vote accepted

This may be close to that phrase:

話{はなし}半{はん}分{ぶん}に聞く

話半分 denotes where roughly half of what is said is a truth, and half is a falsehood or exaggeration according to Daijirin.

Another similar phrase may be 割り引いて聞く, which means something similar to "discount some of what somebody says".

See also Space ALC for more expressions.

share|improve this answer
add comment

For expressing such stories, the phrase 眉唾もの is close. Or, in the form of a predicate, you can say 眉に唾をつけて聞く.

share|improve this answer

Rikaichan is telling me that that means "false" but "to take with a grain of salt" doesn't necessarily mean that something is false. Wikipedia can explain it better then me: "[it] means to view something with skepticism, or to not take it literally." –  silvermaple Apr 10 '12 at 15:51
Oh? But one of my English-Japanese dictionaries ("Lexis" from 旺文社) says 'take...with a grain of salt' means 「…を割引して聞く, "眉唾"だと思う」... ところでよく思うんですけど理解ちゃんって間違い多いですよね! –  Chocolate Apr 10 '12 at 18:11
@Chocolate さん、そのとおりです。ありがとう。所詮、日本語を母語としない人が作ったものを日本語を母語としない人が引用して、日本語を母語とする人に対して、間違っているという間‌​違った指摘をするというのが、なんとも滑稽です。 –  sawa Apr 10 '12 at 18:27
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.