Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Good afternoon all,

Sometimes I see that people like to "curl" the last mora of a verb, for example:

瑞生: ああそれから、亜湖にも特別ボーナスだ。

亜湖: えっ。

瑞生: ジャーン!

亜湖: 何それ?

瑞生: かわいいだろう?

瑞生: おいおいおい、ほら、ちょっと、当ててみろよ。

亜湖: 何?

瑞生: ほらほらほら…。

瑞生: わあ、似合ってるぅ!

(Youtube link)

I was wondering what exactly does it mean to curl the "る" sound of the verb, and in what situations do we do that?

share|improve this question
It's just 「似合ってる~」(=似合っている), with the final sound prolonged... like you say 'Aaand...'/'Veeery'/'Ahhhh'... –  Chocolate Apr 9 '12 at 8:02

@Chocolate Btw I was wondering what's the various purposes of the elongated "る".. can it be used to make fun of the other party? –  Pacerier Apr 9 '12 at 8:48

No I don't think it expresses contempt or hatred etc. In this case わあ、似合ってるぅ! means 'Wow, it looks good on you~~!'. I think it's normally added to show emphasis or exclamation. –  Chocolate Apr 11 '12 at 9:15

@Chocolate Cool, thanks for the clarification =) –  Pacerier Apr 11 '12 at 14:19

@Pacerier It definitely can be used to make fun of the other person. However this is normally targeted at English speakers attempting to speak Japanese since beginners normally extend the u sounds more than they should. –  Ian Apr 24 '12 at 2:29
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 3 down vote accepted

It makes it feminine and cute. It may imply that the pronunciation is done with アヒル口 (duck mouth).

share|improve this answer

Uh btw I was thinking in the context of the video, what message is the father trying to convey when he says "似合ってるぅ" ? –  Pacerier Apr 9 '12 at 9:02

@Pacerier, Ew, "father"? –  Chocolate Apr 9 '12 at 9:07

@Chocolate Erm ya the father uses the "る~", @ youtube.com/… –  Pacerier Apr 9 '12 at 9:30
In English we typically say "duckface", as one word. –  Karl Knechtel Apr 11 '12 at 10:25
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.