Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Good afternoon all,

I was wondering when someone gives someone a ride (bicycle, car, etc), what's the difference in nuance between using the verb "乗せる" and the verb "乗っける"?

For example, I was wondering what's the difference in nuance/usage between these two sentences:

1. でもその、自転車に乗せてくれた子に感謝しなくちゃね。

2. でもその、自転車に乗っけてくれた子に感謝しなくちゃね。

And these two sentences:

1. 入試の日に自転車に乗せてくれた子。

2. 入試の日に自転車に乗っけてくれた子。

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 6 down vote accepted

乗っける is a colloquial and mascline (rough) way of saying 乗せる. In formal occasions, you should not use 乗っける.

share|improve this answer

Btw does it suggest that "入試の日に自転車に乗っけてくれた子" is said by a guy? –  Pacerier Apr 2 '12 at 23:21

@Pacerier It may suggest that it is a male or a female who use rough (boyish) words. –  user458 Apr 2 '12 at 23:29

Thanks for the clarification =) –  Pacerier Apr 3 '12 at 16:01

Btw I was wondering instead of "boyish", can it also be "casual" for example in this example a child used it while talking within the family: youtube.com/… –  Pacerier May 28 '12 at 13:11

乗っかる・乗っける are Kanto dialectal versions of 乗る・乗せる which have made it into the modern Tokyo dialect as colloquialisms.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.