Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What would be the fastest and most effective way to start learning Japanese? I've got all the Hiragana / Katakana done, what should I work on now? Please provide resources where I can learn:

• vocab
  • sentence structure
  • grammar
  • expressions
  • culture
share|improve this question

closed as off topic by Dono, cypher, Flaw, Dave Mar 29 '12 at 7:29

Questions on Japanese Language Stack Exchange are expected to relate to the Japanese language within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

I'm sorry, but these kinds of resource questions are generally considered off-topic on this site (as are Japanese-related cultural issues, unless they're related to the language in some way.) However, we may be able to help if you have more specific questions about grammar, sentence structure, expressions etc. –  cypher Mar 29 '12 at 2:31
but there is a tag called 'learning' –  user27251 Mar 29 '12 at 2:45
I still wonder if there isn't a better way to deal with language resource questions... as this forum is primarily in a language other than Japanese (English,) there will inevitably be more visitors asking about language-learning resources in the future. –  summea Mar 29 '12 at 6:21
@summea I personally think we should allow some resource recommendation posts on meta (see also meta.japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/584), but I'm not sure what's happening with that at this point. –  cypher Mar 29 '12 at 7:01
Resource recommendations and such (within reason) are perfectly fine on Meta. In fact, a good CW on the topic would make a great FAQ article. In the meantime, they are still completely off-topic on Main. –  Dave Mar 29 '12 at 7:31

1 Answer 1

You take みんなのにほんご manuals and you read lesson one by one till end of volume 2. You will get good bases then to learn faster what comes next.

share|improve this answer
Or any other respected book for learning elementary Japanese. For me and everyone I've heard of using it, Genki was amazingly good and even fun. (I have a few minor issues with it, but no book is perfect, and they're mostly because I'm anal about knowing every detail about why things are as they are) –  gibbon Mar 29 '12 at 7:14

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.