Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

むかし、 むかし、 ある ところ に おじいさん と おばあさん が いました。

Here's what I got so far:

(adv. time), (adv. time), (to be - infinitive) (somewhere) (ni particle), (old man) (to - conjunction) (old woman) (ga subject marker) (iru - polite past)

Does the subject marker が always have to be there before a conjugated verb?

share|improve this question

いました is a full sentence by itself, so is 彼{かれ}はいました. None of these have a が. But maybe this is not what you're asking? Could you clarify the question? –  dainichi Mar 28 '12 at 6:54

Hrmm .. like would I have to say 私がいました ? –  user27251 Mar 28 '12 at 6:55

That's dictionary form, not the infinitive. –  Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Mar 28 '12 at 6:59
in あるところに, ある is not "to be - infinitive". It means "A certain ~" –  Flaw Mar 28 '12 at 7:57
You should see Japanese particle as being always after something. What is after the particle is not important. What is before it, is everything. –  oldergod Mar 28 '12 at 9:13

1 Answer 1

I think your confusion may be arising from thinking that が is a prepositional particle. It is not preposed(placed before a word) to the verb. It is a post-positional subject marker, it is postposed(placed after a word) after the subject.

By extension, there is no requirement for が to immediately precede the verb. The element of Xが may be freely moved around the sentence.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.