Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm reading a manga and have run into a tricky phrase, so I am asking for help and some explanations:

...遊ばにゃ損なってなもんだろうがおう!

遊ばにゃ (or にや) - can't understand what the verb form is used here...

損なって - "failing", that seems clear

なもん - have no idea how to decipher this one...

だろうがおう!"can do it" or "let's do it" and exclamation おう, depends on the previous context, as I understand?

share|improve this question
I feel like I'm missing something... the sentence doesn't really make sense if 損なって is そこなって. If 損 is そん, I would say 遊ばにゃ損ってなもんだろうが. Can you provide more context? –  dainichi Mar 26 '12 at 5:07
@dainichi-san, Right, 遊ばにゃ損'な'ってなもんだろうが sounds so awkward. I'd say 遊ばにゃ損ってなもんだろうが too. –  Chocolate Mar 26 '12 at 18:06
add comment

1 Answer

I think the individual parts of it are:

• 遊{あそ}ばにゃ → 遊{あそ}ばなきゃ → 遊{あそ}ばなければ (see also 遊ぶ)

unless one plays/unless one has fun/unless one enjoys oneself

• 損{そん}

loss/disadvantage

• ってなもん → というなもの

(mainly for emphasis, I don't think it changes the meaning much here)

• だろう (the plain form of the polite でしょう)

I think

• though

• おう!

(an exclamation, sometimes translated as "oh!" or "hey!" etc)

...遊ばにゃ損ってなもんだろうがおう!
...遊ばなければ損というなものでしょうがおう!
...It's a loss if you don't enjoy yourself I think though. Alright!

I think that translation loses a lot of the feel of the original colloquial text though.

EDIT: For the time being, I've assumed the "な" was a typo. Also hopefully fixed the exclamation part.

share|improve this answer

Well, that fits into the context nicely. Thank you very much! –  user1259 Mar 25 '12 at 23:57
@Dono maybe, but "sokonau" didn't make a lot of sense to me here... –  cypher Mar 26 '12 at 5:29
@Dono, if you're able to parse the sentence with 損なって as そこなって, please explain. I personally lean towards believing that 損って was corrected to 損なって because somebody thought it was an おくりがな error –  dainichi Mar 26 '12 at 5:40
The おう is an exclamation. It's not がおう, but 「~~てなもんだろうが」+「おう」. –  Chocolate Mar 26 '12 at 18:08
@Chocolate Thanks for the correction! I was wondering if that was an exclamation last night, but I thought it would've had a comma or something between it, e.g. "が、おう!". I should read some more Manga ^^ –  cypher Mar 26 '12 at 22:15
show 3 more comments

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.