Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

While playing Final Fantasy 7, I came across the following text, which I think translates to something like:

このせいせきでは、減給もありうると思ってくれたまえ
With these results, you can expect it likely there will also be a paycut!

But I'm wondering, what does the ~たまえ mean in ~くれたまえ, ~与えたまえ and similar? Does it add emphasis or change the meaning in any way?

I looked in Daijirin and Daijisen's entry for まえ, but I don't think I saw anything there (unless I'm missing something.)

share|improve this question
も in 減給もありうる might be "even", like in "すらも/さえも" (not "also")? –  Choko Mar 25 '12 at 8:50

hmm... You're probably right. But is there a way of telling the two meanings apart? For example, when "も" means "even", does the pitch change to be higher when spoken? –  cypher Mar 25 '12 at 9:32
@cypher-san, Hehe, sorry but you can't tell the difference by the pitch. I think we read them the same way.^^ –  Choko Mar 25 '12 at 9:43
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 7 down vote accepted

たまえ=給え/賜え.
It is the imperative form of 給う/賜う/たまう(or たまふ/たもう), the archaic and honorific (尊敬語) form of [与]{あた}える "to give".
~~(して)くれたまえ is ~~(して)ください/~~(し)なさい, 与えたまえ is 与えてください/与えなさい in modern Japanese.

share|improve this answer

Ahhh, I see. Thank you very much, Chocolate! I was thinking the ~た was past tense, I should've looked further >_< –  cypher Mar 25 '12 at 8:38
So just to make sure I understood, たまえ = ください, right? –  dotnetN00b Mar 25 '12 at 17:05

@dotnetN00b-san, Yeah, according to my dictionaries (modern Japanese and archaic Japanese), ~たまえ can translate to ~ください/~なさい. –  Choko Mar 26 '12 at 17:37
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.