Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've seen お疲れさま and ご[苦労]{くろう}さま used to say "Thank you" after some had done work of some type. After reading the お疲れさま thread, I realize that the two are not interchangeable. So when do you use ご[苦労]{くろう}さま?

When is it appropriate to use otsukaresama?

share|improve this question
It might be fun to also compare "お疲れ~!" and "ご苦労。" :D –  Chocolate Mar 23 '12 at 5:05
@Chocolate true, true, that would be interesting; people my age always seem to end up using お疲れ〜 with me, and older people always seem to use ご苦労 with me, haha... –  summea Mar 23 '12 at 15:15
@Chocolate: Feel free to. However, please make it an answer not a comment :) –  dotnetN00b Mar 23 '12 at 15:20

@summea: See above :) –  dotnetN00b Mar 23 '12 at 15:20

add comment

2 Answers

up vote 7 down vote accepted

(First, a note: because there is a ご at the beginning of ごくろうさま, that お〜 is actually not there. :)

I've most often heard ご苦労様{くろうさま} used by people older than myself, when I have done something for the person (or in some way have helped the person,) using that phrase. (Besides age, this could also happen in a business situation, where a senior worker is speaking to a junior worker.)

For reference, more information can be found in the following articles; one in English, and one in Japanese:

share|improve this answer
add comment

From how I understand it, it is sort of a subsection of when you might say お疲れ様でした, for when people are "just doing their job" so to speak. Like if a firefighter gets a cat from out of a tree, or you're leaving your job site and are talking to your co-workers. It seems to me that this is said to police officers a lot.

share|improve this answer

Can someone explain why I'm wrong/got downvoted please? –  silvermaple Mar 26 '12 at 22:39
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.