Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

On Are 終わる and 済ませる synonyms?, there were some questions whether 終わる is used as a transitive verb.

Space ALC seems to have a few results for を終わる, but far more for を終わらせる and を終える. Looking at sense 4 of the Daijisen definition, it does seem 終わる can be used as a transitive verb:

しまいにする。終える。「会議を―・ります」

My question: How often is 終わる used as a transitive verb and when is it used in such a way compared to 終わらせる and 終える?

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers 2

up vote 5 down vote accepted

終わる is used both as a transitive verb and an intransitive verb, whereas 終える is used only as a transitive verb. When 終わる is used as a transitive verb, it is almost synonymous to 終える. The only exception I can think of is that a closing word of a speech or other verbal communication is usually …を終わります instead of …を終えます.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Looking at this dictionary reference, it seems like the times where 終わる might be used like a transitive verb would be when one is putting an end to something.

For example:

これで私のスピーチを終わります。

Or another example (according to "bridge road hight"さん in this answer,) :

「授業を終わる」→先生(講師)側
「授業を終える」→生徒(受講者)側

Basically, a teacher might say something like "I finished (teaching) the class." whereas a student would say something like "I finished (taking) the class."

share|improve this answer
Thank you for your answer. If I understand correctly, that link says that を終わります is used by the organizers/hosts to conclude some event etc. That makes a lot of sense to me. –  cypher Mar 20 '12 at 4:43
I think that from students’ viewpoint, it is 授業が終わる, neither 授業を終える nor 授業を終わる. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Mar 20 '12 at 12:45

@TsuyoshiIto That does sound more natural, at least. –  summea Mar 20 '12 at 16:06
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.