Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How can one say "I am going to", express intention to do something in the future. I know some expressions such as:

たいと思う -  I'm going to/ I want to

ましょう - I will/ Why don't I

しようと思う - I think I will

しようとする - I'll try to

するところ - I'm about to

つもり - I plan to

する予定がある - I have plans to

する気がある - I feel like

ことにする - decide to

まいとする - I'll try not to

まいと思う - I think I won't

Do I understand what they mean correctly? Which are better to use when? What is the difference between similar expressions (予定 and つもり) ?

share|improve this question
I think you might be better off breaking up this question into smaller (slightly more focused?) questions. :) In general, the meanings seem correct (except, I'm not quite sure about that しょうと思う usage...) but anyway, if the question is broken up, it can generally help for getting answers. –  summea Mar 13 '12 at 22:59

@summea, I meant しようと思う, mistyped, sorry about that. As for breaking up the question, I think I'll wait a bit. –  Velenir Mar 14 '12 at 3:18
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 4 down vote accepted

Your definitions were mostly OK I think.

I'm not an expert on grammar, so take this as a temporal answer until other people answer, but my interpretations thus far are...:

• ~たいと思う means "I think I'd like to...":

本を読みたいと思う "I think I'd like to read a book"

• ~ましょう means "let's do..." (polite form):

本を読みましょう "Let's read a book"

• ~しようと思う means "I think I'll...":

本を読もうと思う "I think I'll read a book"

• ~しようとする means "I'll try to..." as you said:

本を読もうとする "I'll try to read a book"

• ~するところ means "I'm about to..."/"I'm at the point of..." or "place for (do)ing...":

本を読むところ "I'm about to read a book" or "place for reading books"

• ~つもり means "I intend to", slightly less formal than ~予定がある I think and is less likely to be used in business etc:

本を読むつもりだ "I intend to read a book"

• ~する予定がある "I have plans to" as stated:

本を読む予定がある "I have plans to read a book"

• ~する気がある "I am of a mind to":

本を読む気がある "I am of a mind to read a book"

• I think ~ことにする translates differently depending on the context, but that it generally means "(will) go with (do)ing...":

今週こそは本を読むことにする "I will go with reading a book this week"

I'm not sure about ~まいとする and ~まいと思う. I think the difference between ~予定がある and ~つもり might need it's own question.

share|improve this answer

I thought ~たいと思う was "I think I want to.." –  dotnetN00b Mar 14 '12 at 5:56

@dotnetN00b I think both "I think I want to..." and "I think I would like to..." would work, but I'm not sure. Space ALC defines it as "be inclined to" among other definitions. –  cypher Mar 14 '12 at 6:14
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.