Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

With MS IME, how do I type パーティー? I can't seem to get the tiny イ. I am typing pa-tei- and getting パーテイー.

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by Dave Mar 10 '12 at 8:10

Questions on Japanese Language Stack Exchange are expected to relate to the Japanese language within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

I have a feeling this question is going to get closed since it's not really about language, but here's an answer... If you're typing based on romaji, then you can type "xi" or "li" or "lyi" I think. If you use a Japanese keyboard layout, then I'm not completely sure... –  atlantiza Mar 10 '12 at 7:26

パーティー ... it works, thanks. If it isn't closed, then feel free to put a real answer and I'll tick it. –  Synesso Mar 10 '12 at 7:29

It is absolutely off-topic and you are invited to read through the FAQ before posting next time. –  Dave Mar 10 '12 at 8:10

See also: meta.japanese.stackexchange.com/a/448/542 –  Flaw Mar 10 '12 at 12:54

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

For something like パーティー, just type it like this: pa-thi-. The "thi" will create a ティ.

However, if only one letter needs to be small, that can be done by typing: x + letter
(or l + letter on some versions.)

For example:

ぁ: x + a
ぃ: x + i
ぅ: x + u
ぇ: x + e
ぉ: x + o

For further reference:

1. 12 Japanese IME Tips
  2. Romanization of Japanese
share|improve this answer
PLEASE. Do not answer questions that are clearly off-topic and about to get closed. It is not helpful and only encourage more people to post theirs... –  Dave Mar 10 '12 at 8:09
@Dave The IME does have to do with the language, however, because it is used for language input. Just wondering, but... is there a rule against practical language application questions here? There was a point in my own "studying career" where I didn't know how to input certain characters in the IME. Just trying to point someone else in the start of a helpful direction. It seems like this question would fall under the "usage" part of this forum... –  summea Mar 10 '12 at 8:15

@Dave I suppose it would fit better in Meta, at least... or as a community wiki type of post. Anyway, it'd be nice to have a place to refer users to as far as what your rules and limits are for this particular forum, because the general SE FAQ doesn't seem to get into sub-site details. This issue seems to go back to this conversation on the Meta:(meta.japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/378/…). Seems like there is still haziness between what type of forum this is going to be in the near future. –  summea Mar 10 '12 at 8:31
The current consensus is that questions about how to enter Japanese text on computers are off topic. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Mar 10 '12 at 8:39
@TsuyoshiIto Is there a post you can direct me to where this was decided? –  summea Mar 10 '12 at 8:43

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.