Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I noticed that in various works of Japanese art, the artists sign their work with a seal whose contents range from fairly regular kanji to very abstract variations of kanji. I have also seen it used in calligraphy, as shown in the example below.

I heard that this is called "seal script", but no one has been able to point me to any more information on it beyond Wikipedia. Is there a name for this form of writing and better resources for learning about it?

Photograph of a piece of Japanese artwork with calligraphy in an unknown script.

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 4 down vote accepted

The kanji script that you see in the first (rightmost) line of your picture, as well as in seal is called [篆]{てん}書体.

share|improve this answer

I don't know what that means, but the romanization for the word I provided is "tenshotai". I just checked and saw that in English, it is called "seal script" or "small seal script". –  sawa Mar 5 '12 at 15:18

zhuànshū is the romanization of the Chinese word spelled the same, tenshotai is the romanization of the Japanese (on-)reading. –  sawa Mar 5 '12 at 15:26
篆書体 read as てんしょたい is perfectly accepted as a Japanese word. –  sawa Mar 5 '12 at 15:34

I guess in most of the cases, they have a counterpart within the characters used today. They are just different font styles. –  sawa Mar 5 '12 at 16:30
Yes, they actually are kanji, just in a different "font." You can see a lot of the difference as homeomorphism, if that helps... to change the metaphor a bit, they preserve the essence of the "graph" (edges and nodes) but alter its visual expression. For example, the 木 radical at the top there looks more like *. (Also note that often older forms are used, thus 艸 instead of 艹.) –  Matt Mar 5 '12 at 23:24
show 2 more comments

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.