Un dossard est un morceau de tissu qui identifie les sportifs dans un marathon:

dossard

Comment dire ça en japonais ?

日本語では、フランス語の「dossard」と同じ意味の言葉がありますか?
In Japanese, is there an equivalent for the French word dossard?

• ( this question is also a test for meta.japanese.stackexchange.com/q/22 ) Feb 25, 2012 at 5:57
  • You've tried katakanizing the word, and googling for it, right?
    – Golden Cuy
    Feb 25, 2012 at 6:30
  • @AndrewGrimm: no relevant results for encrypted.google.com/search?q=%E3%83%89%E3%82%B5%E3%83%BC Feb 25, 2012 at 6:44
  • I think it is difficult for this site to cope with so many languages. (Since the primary user base is English-speaking)
    – Flaw
    Feb 25, 2012 at 6:53
    Regarding that discussion on meta: I don't really see any consensus pointing at accepting questions in languages other than English or Japanese. I don't have a very strong opinion, but I think it's pretty established that these are the two only viable language options for the site (beside, the name is "Japanese Language and Usage", not "Langue et Usage du Japonais" ;-).
    – Dave
    Feb 25, 2012 at 7:20

2 Answers 2

I don't know French and am guessing from the result of what English websites say about it. If my understanding is correct, the Japanese counterpart is ゼッケン.

I think this is more a matter of English<->French translation than anything else. Once you know that the English word for 'dossard' is 'bib', then WWWJDIC gives you:

ゼッケン (n) cloth bib with number or logo worn by athletes, etc. (e.g. over their shirts) (ger: Decken)

:-)

• I was about to ask in English but Wiktionary does not say "bib" for "dossard" so there might be some English subtleties I am not getting. Also, a Google Images search for "bib" shows NOT A SINGLE image of what I am looking for: google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=bib Feb 25, 2012 at 7:45
  • @Nicolas: that's because 'bib' can mean many things depending on context :-) For instance here: google.com/…
    – Dave
    Feb 25, 2012 at 10:37
  • For the record, I wasn't questioning the use of the word 'dossard', but rather the fact that the entire question (and particularly title) was written in French and therefore perhaps not very accessible to the readership of this site.
    – Dave
    Feb 25, 2012 at 10:41
    I don't know about you, but I would never call that bit of cloth assigning a number to a marathon runner a "bib". To me, a "bib" is a small apron worn by small children to protect their clothing at mealtime. Feb 25, 2012 at 11:59

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .