Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

しょーむない更新失礼しました(T^T) Sorry for the boring update

From my understanding, しょーむない means something along the lines of くだらない and つまらない. Where does it originate from and is it specific to a certain dialect?

share|improve this question

I think it's a typo of しょーもない. Are you sure with the source? –  sawa Feb 23 '12 at 3:13

she wrote it twice but she is 20 and from osaka if that is any help. I'll ask her. –  yadokari Feb 23 '12 at 3:17

maybe it is just a slang spelling of しょうがない? –  yadokari Feb 23 '12 at 3:18

i got this answer but no link yet so maybe it is something different しょーむないを調べてみると 英語で表すのはrubbish foolish nonsenceって表すらしい!! –  yadokari Feb 23 '12 at 4:05
Haha we Kansai residents sometimes pronouce しょ~もない (=くだらない、ばかばかしい) like しょ~むな~ just to sound funny. –  Choko Feb 23 '12 at 4:31
add comment

2 Answers 2

up vote 6 down vote accepted

There's a couple of similar expressions with overlapping meanings here, so I'll elaborate on @sawa's answer to add some color.

しょーむない is probably a cute slangy way to say しょうもない, which is a common contraction of しようもない, which means "silly" or "useless". This is mainly used in western dialects, and the standard would be しようがない (often contracted to しょうがない) or くだらない.

しようがない, however, also has the meaning "there's nothing we (you, I etc) can do about it", similar to しかたがない. In western dialects, this might be expressed as しゃーない, and I'm actually not sure which one of the above this is a contraction of.

There is also an expression どうしようもない (どうしようもない) which does not have a particularly dialectal feel to it, and can mean both "silly"/"useless" or "there's nothing we can do about it".

Finally, there is no どうしようがない, since the どう requires the も, but どうにもしようがない is common as well.

share|improve this answer
add comment

しょうもない is a contracted form of しようもない "there is no way to be done," "there is nothing we can do about it." is "do", よう is "manner." しよう is "manner in which to do." It is mainly used in Kansai dialects. In Tokyo area, しょうがない is used.

share|improve this answer

しょうもない and しょうがない are both used in Kansai and not interchangeable. Their usages are totally different. See dainichi's answer. –  jmac Jul 25 '13 at 2:31
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.