Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I don't think us getting together tonight is such a good idea.

やっぱり今夜、よりを戻すのは止めておこう。

I would like to understand this sentence better, specifically the (idiomatic?) expression, "よりを戻す." I will parse the parts I am not sure of below to see if I grasp it correctly:

"やっぱり" "after all."

"よりを戻す" is an idiom(?) meaning "get back together."

"止めておこう" "Should let pass/should let the matter drop/let's quit"

If these are acceptable, how does "よりを戻す" express "get back together"?

And does the おこう in "止めておこう" derive from 置く?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 9 down vote accepted

As you correctly understood, よりを戻す is an idiom meaning for a broken couple to get back together.

[縒]{よ}る means “to twist threads together to make a thicker string.” [縒]{よ}りを戻す literally means to undo this process and turn a string into several threads apart. This may sound like the opposite of getting back together (certainly it does sound like the opposite to me), but I guess that the analogy here is that “twisting” refers to the conflict between a couple, and removing the twist corresponds to getting back together.

おこう in [止]{や}めておこう is etymologically derived from 置く (to put), but here …ておく means “to do … for now.” In this context, よりを戻すのをやめておく means to avoid getting back together for now.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.