Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

When referring to the earthquake, tsunami and nuclear incident, is "3.11" pronounced "San gatsu ju ichi nichi", or is there a shortened version, like "nine one one" or "September eleven" for the terrorist attacks on September the eleventh?

share|improve this question
3/11 is typically much more common in Western media (who probably like that 9/11 ring to it)... Japanese media overwhelmingly prefer the term 大震災/東日本大震災. –  Dave Feb 19 '12 at 8:12
I thought "nine one one" was the number you dialed in emergencies in the US. I thought "nine eleven" was more common. –  dainichi Feb 19 '12 at 8:30
@Flaw: that claim is stated as fact in Wikipedia With citations given: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/9-1-1#cite_ref-35 –  Andrew Grimm Feb 19 '12 at 11:11
@AndrewGrimm: No, what I mean is that whenever I say it, or hear it, it's September 11th or 911... –  silvermaple Feb 19 '12 at 16:30
>there were people who couldn't find number eleven on the phone. --- Lol in Japan we have ひゃくとうばん but no one would say 'I can't find number ten on the phone!' –  Chocolate Feb 21 '12 at 5:28
show 4 more comments

1 Answer

up vote 3 down vote accepted

For 2.26事件 or 5.15事件, I remember learning them to be read as "にいにいろくじけん", "ごういちごうじけん," but I also hear people reading them as "にいてんにいろくじけん", "ごうてんいちごうじけん." Other than these two, as far as I know, incidents written like this seem to be read simply as if you read a number with a decimal point, like "さんてんいちいち."

share|improve this answer
Is the vowel sound for に and ご intentionally dragged out to form にい and ごう? Why does it happen? –  Flaw Feb 19 '12 at 7:39

@Flaw That is the way these numbers are usually pronounced in isolation. –  sawa Feb 19 '12 at 8:10
@Flaw One-mora digits are given an extra mora when pronouncing a series of digits, probably to make them an "equidistant" rythm. –  dainichi Feb 19 '12 at 8:35
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.