I understand that キモい comes from 気持ち悪い and I have only heard it used by women. I am wondering if it is exclusively used by women like how ending sentences with わ or かしら is only used by women.

As istrasci writes, it is not feminine, but women might use it more often to classify and discriminate men than men do to women.
    – user458
    Feb 14, 2012 at 21:53

2 Answers 2

No. Many of my male friends in Osaka/Kansai use キモい, especially the emphatic キモッ!.

Good observation. In fact, using the root of an adjective is not peculiar to this particular word, but is peculiar to the Kansai dialects: 短か!, さむ!, 小さ!, くっさ!. In Kansai, きしょい may also be used.
    – user458
    Feb 14, 2012 at 21:46
  • @sawa san Exactly~ (笑) Ah and we also say きっしょ!and ちっさ!(Do you say さぶ!in Kanto too?)
    – user1016
    Feb 15, 2012 at 0:06
  • @Chocolate: If you mean さぶ as in when someone tells a lame joke, then I hear it used in Tokyo. What is きっしょ, though?
    – Questioner
    Feb 15, 2012 at 0:19
  • @DaveMG san, Yes but we also use さぶ just to mean 寒い. きっしょ is the same as キモッ, but I think we use きっしょ more often in Kansai.
    – user1016
    Feb 15, 2012 at 0:40
  • @Chocolate I think さぶ (and even さむ) is Kansai dialect. さぶいぼ is even more obviously Kansai dialect (とりはだ in standard dialect).
    – user458
    Feb 15, 2012 at 1:20

I have heard university age males in Hokkaido use きもい in a very emphatic way.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .