Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I understand that キモい comes from 気持ち悪い and I have only heard it used by women. I am wondering if it is exclusively used by women like how ending sentences with わ or かしら is only used by women.

share|improve this question
As istrasci writes, it is not feminine, but women might use it more often to classify and discriminate men than men do to women. –  sawa Feb 14 '12 at 21:53
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 4 down vote accepted

No. Many of my male friends in Osaka/Kansai use キモい, especially the emphatic キモッ!.

share|improve this answer
Good observation. In fact, using the root of an adjective is not peculiar to this particular word, but is peculiar to the Kansai dialects: 短か!, さむ!, 小さ!, くっさ!. In Kansai, きしょい may also be used. –  sawa Feb 14 '12 at 21:46

@sawa san Exactly~ (笑) Ah and we also say きっしょ!and ちっさ!(Do you say さぶ!in Kanto too?) –  Chocolate Feb 15 '12 at 0:06

@Chocolate: If you mean さぶ as in when someone tells a lame joke, then I hear it used in Tokyo. What is きっしょ, though? –  Dave M G Feb 15 '12 at 0:19

@DaveMG san, Yes but we also use さぶ just to mean 寒い. きっしょ is the same as キモッ, but I think we use きっしょ more often in Kansai. –  Chocolate Feb 15 '12 at 0:40

@Chocolate I think さぶ (and even さむ) is Kansai dialect. さぶいぼ is even more obviously Kansai dialect (とりはだ in standard dialect). –  sawa Feb 15 '12 at 1:20
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.