Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I came across this sentence about a traditional festival in Japan:

阿月の神明祭は、阿月地区を東西二つに分けて行われる災厄除けや病気除け、豊作を祈願して行われる。

(link)

The general meaning is clear, but what I don't fully understand is this part: 東西二つに分けて

Its seems to me that 東西二つ is idiomatic for "all over" (judging from what I saw of a Google search of the phrase...I couldn't find a definition of them together), but the I couldn't figure out what に分けて means in this context? I know could mean "separated" (分かる, to separate), but apparently in the て-form it can also mean "particularly" or "above all", which makes even less sense to me..."particularly East and West?"

share|improve this question
Is it not just "separated into two parts, East and West"? –  Dave M G Feb 14 '12 at 3:30

Lol I totally agree –  Choko Feb 14 '12 at 3:45

Well, this may be a case of over-thinking ^.^ I couldn't figure out how you could separate East from West, I didn't think about city sections... –  silvermaple Feb 14 '12 at 5:36
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 9 down vote accepted

阿月地区を東西二つに分けて means "separate the Azuki district into two parts, east and west".

You could insert a の, making it 東西の二つ, but the adverbial use without it is not uncommon for these "listing"-jukugo like 東西, 優劣, 大小 etc.

share|improve this answer
add comment

東西二つに分けて just means east and west separated in two.

分ける:to separate/devide

東西: east and west

The festival will take place in the sectors of Azuki separated in two, east and west.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.