Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In discussing the marriage of Jin Akanishi and Meisa Kuroki, and why many young celebrities in Japan seem to fall into shotgun marriages, I wanted to use an equivalent for the term "withdrawal method", a phrase in english that is pretty innocuous. I found 膣外射精, and I was wondering if it was a decent equivalent, or if it was too racy for average conversations? I've seen it translated as withdrawal method and coitus interruptus, which are pretty safe, but translated literally I guess it means "extra-vaginal ejaculation", which besides being a mouthful to say in English, could be somewhat inappropriate in certain situations. Forgive any unintended puns in the question. Any alternative euphemisms or suggestions are appreciated if warranted.

share|improve this question
As an aside, what is the equivalent term for 'shotgun marriage'? Is it できちゃったこん? – dbassett Feb 13 '12 at 16:25
i think できちゃった結婚 is most standard but i think I've heard できちゃったこん or できこん – yadokari Feb 13 '12 at 16:31
up vote 2 down vote accepted

膣外射精 is the technical term. I wouldn't be worried about it being too dirty for conversation, because it is of a technical nature. However, I would worry about it being too literary to be understood in converstion.

You might want to consider [外出]{そとだ}し instead.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.