Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Some years ago, I read that Japanese has a word (or idiomatic expression) that means roughly:

The action of voluntary interposing a pause between the
moment you desire something and the moment you start 
to do something to acquire it.

I was never able to find it again. Does it really exist? If yes, what is it? Is it some jargon word (e.g. religion, philosophy)?

As @Sawa suggested, I'll try to better define my request. Imagine this sequence:

1. I see a beautiful thing in a shop window.
  2. I desire it.
  3. I decide to sit down and wait.
  4. After some minute, I get up and, in case, I go inside the shop to buy the thing.

I am searching for a word that describe the 3rd step of this sequence.

share|improve this question

It is too abstract, and is difficult to even think of what area to consider. Do you have more solid explanations or examples of what you are mentioning? –  sawa Feb 10 '12 at 21:44

@Sawa, You are right. The expression the moment in which P is strange and redundant. I removed it. –  andcoz Feb 10 '12 at 23:24
I cannot come up with any words matching your description. 間 (as in Dave M G’s answer) means “pause” without any connotation to desire or acquisition as far as I know, so I doubt that that is the word you are looking for. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Feb 11 '12 at 12:34

It seems that no-one knows a word that fits my description. :-/ Do I have to think that my memory is defective and that @Dave-M-G word is the best approximation I can find? My last chance is a "bounty". –  andcoz Feb 22 '12 at 13:12

Did the text you read say why you would want to wait before taking action? For example, for being polite, or just because you're unsure? –  ento Feb 24 '12 at 3:21
show 1 more comment

4 Answers

up vote 5 down vote accepted
+50

In this case, I would suggest the idea of 「立ち止まる」(tachidomaru - coming to a stand still.)

I've seen this used by people when they are describing someone who is stopping to think about something; not yet acting (other than stopping whatever action they had been doing beforehand.) It conveys a sense of stopping everything to ponder about the next action one is to take. Potentially for the sake of making a life changing decision.

Here is an example of this phrase in one type of context.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Couldn't this just be

躊躇{ちゅうちょ}する、躊躇{ためら}う to hesitate

? Or would that be too simple? I think it matches the description pretty well... or was this supposed to be some concept very specific to Japan(ese)?

Mumble, I do not think it was something like "to hesitate". Why would the author of the book have used a Japanese word to describe the concept instead of using a simple native word? It should be a word that does not have a direct equivalent in English. –  andcoz Feb 27 '12 at 17:44
add comment

Maybe one of these?

[一]{ひと}呼吸置く
'take one breath'

一歩下がる
'take one step behind'

思いとどまる
'stop and think'

[熟]{じゅく}[慮]{りょ}する
'think intensively'

Or maybe you meant these proverbs?

石の上にも三年
'Stay three years on a rock (until it becomes warm enough to be comfortable).'

石橋を叩いて渡る
'Hit a bridge made of rock before crossing it (to make sure it does not collapse).'

桃栗三年柿八年
'It takes as much as three years for a plum tree or a chestnut tree to blossom, and eight years for a persimmon tree.'

add comment

I'm taking a risk here in that I'm not 100% sure, but, we're trying to do answers not comments...

Anyway, a long time ago I used to work in animation at a Japanese company. One of my directors stressed to me the importance of 間{ま}, which he described as the pause a character takes just before a motion. Having just a fraction of a second of pause just before doing something, made characters appear much more natural than just bursting into action.

So I think 間{ま} might be the word you're looking for.

Note that the kanji is usually read あいだ when on it's own, and かん when part of a compound (for example, 時間{じかん}). is a rarer reading.

That sounds like what he's describing :) Kudos for answering in an answer –  silvermaple Feb 11 '12 at 8:03

Yes, it is very similar to what I am searching for. It lacks of the concept of voluntary interposing but probably it is the right answer. I'll wait a couple of days to select the accepted answer, just in case ... –  andcoz Feb 11 '12 at 14:10

間 is an interesting choice. Also, have you considered 立ち止まる? (see answer below...) –  summea Feb 25 '12 at 7:22

I think it's 間をおいて here. It means a pause, but I don't think it's quite appropriate here because it seems to me to mean 'make a pause for effect' as much as anything else. –  Bathrobe Mar 1 '12 at 3:29
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.