Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

OK, really esoteric question time:

So I went to the cinema with a female friend on the weekend. I was going to buy some of the horrendously overpriced popcorn there, but then she said:

持ってきちゃった!

And she had already brought some in her bag. Apparently, ~ちゃった is quite girly though. How could I say this in a more male (but still funny) way?

share|improve this question

How about 持ってきちゃったよ! (in Tokyo). –  Gradius Sep 13 '12 at 20:52
add comment

3 Answers

up vote 7 down vote accepted

Lol... How about [持]{も}って[来]{き}ちまったぜ! It should sound more manly at least. BTW I'm in Kansai and I think guys here would say more like [持]{も}って[来]{き}てもうた(わ)! Doesn't it sound sooo funny?

share|improve this answer

if you want funny, you could go 持って来ちゃってもうた –  oldergod Feb 10 '12 at 13:32

@oldergod san, ん・・・?Kanto-ben plus Kansai-ben?? –  Chocolate Feb 10 '12 at 15:33

You wanted funny ;) Works fine for me ! –  oldergod Feb 11 '12 at 1:22
add comment

~ちゃった is not funny and is not girly.

The difference is mainly how you say it. It can also depends on where you live.

add comment

~ちゃった is not particularly "funny", just female-tinged and rather casual. Note that men can occasionally use it...

The rest sounds more like a standard (and many time answered) male vs female speech question.

(note: taking a page from my own book and posting this as an answer instead of a comment)

I don't see ~ちゃった as particularly female-tinged, at least in standard Japanese. Can you elaborate? –  dainichi Feb 10 '12 at 1:50
@dainichi: as I pointed out, I don't see it as exclusively female (certainly use it myself on occasions). But its use is skewed toward "feminine" speech... Such discussions are highly subjective (see the link in my answer), but I think most Japanese would tell you the overuse of '〜ちゃった' forms sounds rather infantile/feminine (possibly feminine because infantile... welcome to Japan). Also: I'm not sure what you mean by 'standard Japanese', but this form is definitely not 標準語... –  Dave Feb 10 '12 at 2:01

It is 標準語 for me. What is 標準語 for you Dave? Isn't it 関東弁? –  oldergod Feb 10 '12 at 2:25
@Dave Some Kansai-ben speakers think Tokyo-ben sounds effeminate, just as some Tokyo-ben people think Kansai-Ben sounds rough. Your perception might be subjective, but in Tokyo, ちゃった is equally used by males and females, and that's a fact. Whether ちゃった can be considered 標準語 or not is a different question which I won't comment on. –  dainichi Feb 10 '12 at 17:30
@Dave I don't think whether you're heard an NHK announcer use it or not proves anything. I've never heard one use お前 either, but I still consider that 標準語. –  dainichi Feb 12 '12 at 13:33
show 6 more comments

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.