Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In another question, I mentioned using Kana to represent the GPS coordinates for:

N 43° 09.725' W 077° 26.688' 

I used:

キタ シジュウ サン ジスウ ク チョボ ナナヒャク ニジュウ ゴ フン
kita shijuu san jisuu ku chobo nanahyaku nijuu go fun

ニシ ナナジュウ シチ ジスウ ニジュウ ロコ チョボ ロッピャク キュウジュウ ハチ フン
nishi nanajuu shichi jisuu nijuu roku chobo roppyaku kyuujuu hachi fun

Are the terms that I used for north, west, degree, decimal, and minutes correct in the context that I'm using them?

• north | kita | キタ
  • west | nishi | ニシ
  • degrees | jisuu | ジスウ
  • decimal | chobo | チョボ
  • minutes | fun | フン
share|improve this question
Where did you get チョボ from? I've never heard it before, but maybe it's seafarer lingo or something? –  dainichi Feb 9 '12 at 14:14

With your level of knowledge about Japanese, you will not be able to produce something at a satisfactory level. You may want to learn from the "all your base are belong to us"-incident. –  user458 Feb 9 '12 at 16:36

As @sawa pointed out, my level of knowledge is very limited. My technique for finding these words was to look at an online dictionary and search for the English words and then plug the Japanese words back into the translation to complete the round trip. I selected words that seemed most like what I was looking for. –  GeoGriffin Feb 9 '12 at 21:06
“N 43° 09.725' W 077° 26.688'” is read as 北緯43度9.725分西経77度26.688分 (ほくいよんじゅうさんどきゅうてんななにごふん せいけいななじゅうななどにじゅうろくてんろくはちはちふん). –  Tsuyoshi Ito Feb 9 '12 at 22:40

@TsuyoshiIto So the last digit after the decimal does not undergo sound modification by the counter? I'll delete that from my answer... –  Hyperworm Feb 9 '12 at 23:19

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

次数 (jisuu) seems to be "degree" in the graph theory sense, not as in angles. I've never heard ちょぼ used for "decimal point", but perhaps I'm ignorant here.

The terms I would use are (do) and (ten) respectively. コンマ (comma) is also heard as a decimal point separator (even when the symbol , is not used).

Note that, as in English, numbers after a decimal point should be spelled out individually, not using a place system:

English: .688 is read e.g. point six eight eight not point six hundred and eighty eight.
Japanese: .688 is read e.g. てん ろく はち はち not てん ろっぴゃく はちじゅう はち.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.