Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I rarely have any problems with the に and で particles, but I have been a bit confused since seeing the word 揺れる in a few different sentences.

As far as I know it is ok to say either:

旗が風に揺れている

or

旗が風で揺れている

Where you could of course replace 旗 with another word like 木 or 電線.

My problem is that I can't tell the difference between these sentences.

To me, at the moment, they both mean "~ is swaying in the wind". But there must be some difference between these sentences that I am not seeing.

Can anybody tell me the difference in meaning when it comes to the に or で particles with the word 揺れる?

Any help would be appreciated.

share|improve this question
add comment

4 Answers

up vote 6 down vote accepted

風に揺れる sounds a bit poetic and literary to me. If I'm writing an essay, novel or poem, I'd write 風に揺れる. I think we usually say 風で揺れる in daily conversations.

share|improve this answer
add comment

I agree with Chocolate's answer. The slight difference in nuance (for me, without strong basis) is this:

Aにゆれる
'swing against A'
'swinging on its own as a reaction to A'

Aでゆれる
'swing {by/due to} A'
'swinging, caused by A'

implies a slight spontaneity whereas implies a strong cause-result relation.

So when you say 風に揺れる, it implies that it is an inherent property of a flag to wave against the wind, and the role of wind is just the trigger. 風でゆれる means that the wind is solely responsible for the mechanism of waving.

Ah I see, so 風に揺れる might sound like 風の中で揺れている? –  Choko Feb 4 '12 at 6:07
@Chocolate I feel so. What do you think? And, I just edited my answer. I think the my new answer is better than my old one. –  sawa Feb 4 '12 at 6:12

Thank you both for your answers! I wish I could accept two answers at the same time, but this has helped me a lot - Thank you. –  Sour Lemon Feb 4 '12 at 6:21

@sawa-san, Yes I agree, I didn't notice that until I read your post. –  Choko Feb 4 '12 at 8:29
add comment

If you ask why a flag is waving, then you use kazede (風で). But if you are describing a flag's movement, then you use kazeni yureteiru (風に揺れている).

'De' is used for why/method etc.

'Ni' is used for describing a situation/movement etc.

add comment

I agree with Chocolate that に is slightly more literary. But I think that both に and で mean a cause in this context, and に is not necessarily ruled out even in the daily conversation.

I cannot pin down the exact difference between に and で, but I would like to point out that there are similar sentences where both に and で are grammatical and have almost the same meaning just like your examples:

• 雨(に/で)濡れる
  • 病(に/で)倒れる
  • 仕事(に/で)疲れる

ビルの前(に/で)車を止める。 –  istrasci Feb 4 '12 at 21:26
@istrasci: Ok, both に and で are grammatical and have almost the same meaning in that sentence, too, but that sounds different from the current discussion although there might be some hidden connection. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Feb 5 '12 at 0:00
Yes, you're absolutely right. I should have mentioned tat in my comment. So to clarify: the で in my above comment is a different one than the one in the original post (place of action, as opposed to cause of an action), and my example is one where に/で are interchangeable, although it's a bit different than the situation in the original post. –  istrasci Feb 5 '12 at 18:52
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.