Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How often does gairaigo get bikago?

おトイレ is mentioned by Wiktionary, and Wikipedia mentions it being used ironically in o-kokakōra, but I haven't come across any others.

One case where its absence is noticeable is referring to someone else's partner as a パートナー without an お before it (or a さん afterwards, for that matter)

Are there any words other than トイレ that often get お (apart from in the speech of teenage girls)?

share|improve this question

3 Answers 3

up vote 3 down vote accepted

Some people use おコーヒー. Both おトイレ and おコーヒー sound like words used in a certain idiolect to me, and their use is not limited to teenage girls, but I do not know exactly what kind of people use these words.

share|improve this answer
I feel that socially high-class madams use them, and these words are also 役割語 for such people. For example, it's likely to be used by スネ夫's mother. –  sawa Feb 2 '12 at 16:01
@sawa: Is "high-class madams" a euphemism? –  Andrew Grimm Feb 4 '12 at 10:17

@AndrewGrimm For what? –  sawa Feb 4 '12 at 10:37

@sawa: Either an up-market prostitute, or a woman who runs a brothel. –  Andrew Grimm Feb 4 '12 at 10:52

@AndrewGrimm No. Far from that. I don't understand why take it like that. Judging from your other questions, I think you are thinking that kind of things too much in the context of Japanese. In several of your questions, you mention sexual things, genital, or prostitution. –  sawa Feb 4 '12 at 10:53

おタバコ is heard all the time when restaurant staff asks you if you need a seat where you can smoke.

おタバコはお吸いになりますか Do you smoke?

おビール, おソース, おタオル I've heard as well, but less often.

I would say that 美化語 on 外来語 is not a phenomenon correlated with teenage girls, on the contrary. It strikes me as something that mainly elder women say when trying to sound elegant, although that is an obvious generalization.

+1, but choosing Tsuyoshi Ito's answer, mainly because caffeine rather than nicotine is my drug of choice. –  Andrew Grimm Feb 4 '12 at 10:21

Bikago does not seem to have much relation with gairaigo. I think what you really meant is "how often are gairaigo used as euphemism?" From your examples, I feel that. And if that is your question, I think the answer is, quite often.

What do you mean by euphemism? I thought euphemism means using a vague word or phrase rather than a more specific one. –  Andrew Grimm Feb 4 '12 at 10:14
A gairaigo is not as familiar as native Japanese words to the Japanese speaking people, so it does not carry negative connotations as much. –  sawa Feb 4 '12 at 10:36

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.