Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Today I was reading the story of David & Goliath and saw this strange pattern:

ゴリアトは四十日の間、朝やって来て、同じ所に立った。ー サムエル記上 17:16
Goliath challenged the Israelites every morning and evening for forty days. - 1 Samuel 17:16 ; (Yes, "stood in the same place Took up his same position" implies his challenges from an early part of the story)

Is this basically just a 〜も〜も pattern or does it have other uses too? What is its origin? Is it formal and/or archaic? Is it a typo in my Bible?

I've never seen this pattern before and cannot find anything on it. Any information would be great.

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 10 down vote accepted

They are used with time nouns, in parallel. I know of only these usage patterns:

• [朝]{あさ}な[朝]{あさ}な (also read as あさなさな) - every morning
  • [朝]{あさ}な[夕]{ゆう}な - every morning and evening
  • [夜]{よ}な[夜]{よ}な - every night

According to Kadokawa Shōjiten "Nihongo no Gogen", it's shortened from 「の間」 (source), but I can't confirm the veracity.

share|improve this answer

Would you mind showing us how to read your example phrases? –  Choko Feb 1 '12 at 5:12

- [朝]{あさ}な[朝]{あさ}な - every morning - [朝]{あさ}な[夕]{ゆう}な - every morning and evening - [夜]{よ}な[夜]{よ}な - every night –  oldergod Feb 1 '12 at 5:31

@oldergod-san, Thanks!^^ –  Choko Feb 1 '12 at 5:49
For the record, the のま etymology seems pretty far-fetched, and isn't supported by any serious modern research. Personally I suspect a much simpler link putting it in the same family tree as に and なり(にあり) (and arguably の, but without 間)... but this, too, isn't supported by any serious research, it's just a hunch. –  Matt Feb 1 '12 at 6:08

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.