Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I saw this sentence in a train advertisement for a job placement agency:

いまとサヨナラしなければ、出会えないあなたがきっといる。

I don't sense a future tense at all in the independent (latter) clause because the verb is simply いる rather than a "can" form like 〜える/〜れる/〜ける。The sentence feels disjointed as the tenses don't agree.

I feel that the following sentence expresses the same thing, but with a better match between the clauses:

いまとサヨナラしなければ、もう一人のあなたと出会えない。

Translating the original sentence literally to English as:

If you don't say goodbye to the present, there is a you that you will never meet.

sounds just as wrong because of the "is". It should be "there will be a you that you never meet".

I understand きっと to mean "certainly", but does きっといる here serve as a future tense?

EDIT: Inserted missing "you" in translation from dainichi's comment. Revised title.

share|improve this question

きっと only serve as "certainly" here. You can remove it from the sentence it won't change the meaning. Don't think it as a future you but rather, an other you. So you first translation try is correct. –  oldergod Jan 31 '12 at 2:56

Does 'There's a you that you will never meet unless you say goodbye to the present' sound better? –  dainichi Jan 31 '12 at 10:34
I don't really see why this question should have been downvoted -- if you think the premises are mistaken, or that the questioner is trying too hard to fit Japanese into an Indo-European concept of tense or whatever, that's the sort of thing that makes a good answer, not a reason for a downvote. –  Matt Feb 1 '12 at 5:13
add comment

1 Answer

No, きっと means "certainly" here.

I don't understand what you find wrong with 'is' in your translation. Insert a 'you' before 'will' and it makes perfect sense.

share|improve this answer

Thanks for pointing out the missing "you". But it doesn't change the meaning. The problem is that "If you don't" is a condition, but "there is" is a declaration. It should be a consequent, which in English takes the future tense. "If you drink this, you feel better." is wrong, it should be "If you drink this, you will feel better". And I feel the same mismatch from using いる after なければ 。I realize that it's difficult to express an appropriate future form of いる、so I'll go with 実在してしまう。 –  Paul Richter Jan 31 '12 at 6:24

The future tense you are looking for is not on いる it is on 出会えない. That is why, translated, it gives "There is a you that you will never meet". I take your drinking example: "if you don't say goodbye to now, you will never meet the other yourself (who exists)." –  oldergod Jan 31 '12 at 6:36
Ah, now I think I understand what you are getting at. Yes, oldergod is right. The placing of the comma in the Japanese text is misleading. If I had to put it somewhere, I'd put it after あなたが. The whole phrase "いまとサヨナラしなければ出会えない" is a predicate to あなた. There's a you, whom in order to meet you have to say goodbye to the present. –  dainichi Jan 31 '12 at 6:55

The sentence is broken into two lines so there is little doubt about the intention of the comma. Without any comma, it could easily be interpreted as "There's a you...", but that comma! –  Paul Richter Jan 31 '12 at 14:45

The sentence being broken into two lines isn't relevant -- it isn't that way on Doda's home page -- and the punctuation isn't a big deal either. Commas in Japanese can be placed much more freely than in English. I think dainichi's interpretation is fine. –  Matt Feb 1 '12 at 4:40
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.