Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

A manga character says this to someone who told him to やめろ:

なんで やめろまで言われなくちゃなんねェんだよ!!

Is that 言われなくてはならない and if it is, how can it be part of a question (with "nan de")? I don't really understand this sentence at all.

share|improve this question

Are you sure about your citation? やめろまで sounds quite awkward, and has a smell of Japanese written by a non-native. Usually, it would be やめろとまで. –  user458 Jan 30 '12 at 5:31

Does not sound awkward to me. –  oldergod Jan 30 '12 at 6:07

I hardly think that a character who would say 言われなくちゃなんねェ would know or care about that と。 –  Paul Richter Jan 30 '12 at 6:27

oldergod, Paul Richter: I see, language geniuses. –  user458 Jan 30 '12 at 6:51

@sawa anytime ! –  oldergod Jan 30 '12 at 13:38

3 Answers 3

up vote -1 down vote accepted

After searching on Google, I found this and this, so I'm assuming this is from Naruto:

カカシ「ま!お前らは忍者学校に戻る必要もないな」
Kakashi: "Meh! There's no need for you lot to return to Ninja school."

カカシ「……そう 3人とも… 忍者をやめろ!」
Kakashi: "...Yeah, the three of you... Quit (training to become) ninja!"

ナルト「なんでやめろまで言われなくちゃなんねェんだよ!!」
Naruto: "Why must you go so far as to tell us to quit!"

カカシ「どいつもこいつも 忍者になる資格もねェガキだってことだよ」
Kakashi: "Every single one of you, you're brats who're unqualified to become ninja!"

Here's a breakdown of that sentence:

なんで やめろまで 言われなくちゃなんねェんだよ!!
Literal translation: "Why [must you/do you have to] go so far as telling us 'quit'!"

なんで means "why".

やめろ is quite strong, it could be an imperative of "quit!" or "stop!".

まで can mean "as/so far as" as well as "until, till doing".

言われなくちゃなんねェ is a more colloquial and more emphasized form of (the already colloquial) 言われなくちゃならない, which is 言われなくてはならない. ...言われなくちゃなんねェんだよ, ...言われなくちゃならないのよ! or ...言われなくてはならないのよ! all mean "Why must you to go so far as telling us 'quit'!".

share|improve this answer

your translation makes sense but i'm still confused about why "iu" is conjugated that way... –  ogicu8abruok Jan 30 '12 at 3:35

@ogicu8abruok iw-are-naku = "SAY-PASSIVE-NEGATIVE". –  user458 Jan 30 '12 at 5:30
なんで: why
やめろまで: up to "stop it"
言われなくちゃなんねェ  => 言われなくてはならない: 
  it needs to be said / [someone] needs to be told ("it won't do if not said")
んだよ!! => のですか: is it?

thus:

Why does "stop it" even need to be said!?

The sentence itself does not define who is being told やめろ、so if the person being told やめろ says this as you indicate, it would mean:

Why do I even have to be told to stop?

If the other person is doing something that the speaker doesn't like, but he/she doesn't stop until told to by the speaker, the same thing would mean:

Why do you even have to be told to stop?

First, understand that やめろ is a really raw/strong/rude way to say "Stop (it) !" so I won't translate it to keep the strong meaning. (Other answers are missing this important fact. The speaker does not complain about being told to stop, but the way he is being told to stop.)

With your context, this sentence would mean: Why do you have to go this far by telling me やめろ. (ie: You could have been more gentle, a softer way to say this blabla....)

なんで sets the question.
やめろまで up to "やめろ"
言われなくちゃなんねェんだよ splited is like this
言われなくちゃ: 言われなくては
なんねェ: ならない
んだよ: のです
いわれる: to be told
いわれなくてはならない => I have to be told

It's kind of Why do I have to be told things this far/rude as やめろ.

I'm curious why this was down-voted. If there's something wrong with it I'd like to know. –  heefske Jan 30 '12 at 6:50

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.