Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What is the meaning/significance of ~のみ? Does it have anything to do with or ?

Some example sentences:

• しかし、予算の制限のため、差し当たり実験機のみを製造することになった。
    But budget restrictions have allowed them to make only prototypes for the time being.

• そして、内で行われる茶の湯の作法のみが美しく見え、そこに宇宙空間や禅の思想までもが表現されたもの。
    In that context, the tea ceremony becomes the focus of beauty, while ideas of space and Zen are also communicated.

• 両商品とも、コンビニのみで販売されている。
    Both products are sold only at convenience stores.

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 6 down vote accepted

It means "only". You can think of it as the written version of だけ.

のみ can replace だけ except for these cases:

• i-adjectives: 高い{だけ・*のみ}

• na-adjectives: 静かな{だけ・*のみ}

• quantifiers: 一つ{だけ・*のみ}

* denoting unacceptability

Also case particles may appear before/after のみ with virtually no difference in meaning except for で.

• Xでのみ, Y - Only using X, Y.

• Xのみで, Y - Using "Only X", Y.

share|improve this answer

d'oh! I was parsing the separate to the . Should've looked it up separately. Thanks! –  cypher Jan 26 '12 at 1:02
@oldergod What do you mean by keigo version of だけ? It sounds senseless to me. –  sawa Jan 26 '12 at 1:12
「のみ」is not an honorific or keigo... it's just one of 副助詞 in literary style... –  Choko Jan 26 '12 at 1:34
@oldergod, what kind of keigo would this be? Sonkeigo, kenjougo or teineigo? I think 'formal' might be more precise than 'written'. Formal language is used in spoken language all the time. –  dainichi Jan 26 '12 at 3:43
I used to get coffee at the same shop every day and used to ask for "ミルクだけ。" when asked whether I wanted milk and sugar, the lady behind the counter always used to confirm, "ミルクのみ?". Thinking that I had missed something in understanding the difference, I started to say, "ミルクのみ。" to which she replied, "ミルクだけ?"... –  Stuart Woodward Jan 29 '12 at 8:36
show 5 more comments

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.