Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

素人 means beginner. ド素人 means total beginner.

means "very", "total". Any idea where does this word come from etymologically? It is sometimes also written in hiragana.

Are there other current expressions that use in a similar way?

share|improve this question
Dreadnought?! –  Paul Richter Jan 25 '12 at 2:56
Duplicate? –  istrasci Jan 25 '12 at 4:01
@istrasci. How are links embedded in comments? I tried using the same format for answers but it doesn't work. –  Flaw Jan 25 '12 at 6:21

@Flaw [link text](url). See also japanese.stackexchange.com/editing-help#comment-formatting –  cypher Jan 25 '12 at 8:20

@Flaw: Just click the help link right under the "Add Comment" button when you're typing a comment. –  istrasci Jan 25 '12 at 15:26

2 Answers 2

up vote 2 down vote accepted

ど突く, ドスケベ, どあほ, ドM, ドS, どえらい, どぶす, ど近眼... sure there are many more

Please note that some of these are quite rude and offensive. Please use with caution.

Not sure about the etymology, but I have the impression that they tend to be used more in Kansai-ben.

share|improve this answer
あはは。悪い言葉ばっかりね~ あ、あたし関西人 –  Choko Jan 25 '12 at 6:16

@Chocolate: +1 for 関西人! –  istrasci Jan 25 '12 at 15:26

I share the same impression too! But unless non-関西人 can confirm that they seldom use ど… –  syockit Jan 31 '12 at 23:17

どぎつい, ど真ん中 and ド変態{へんたい} came up to my mind as a similar expression.

I don't know where this use of came from. Maybe from the prhase 度{ど}が過ぎる.

share|improve this answer

OMG ド変態!I've never heard that word but it's like a total pervert? Lol –  Choko Jan 25 '12 at 18:31

どん百姓 is another one. –  Bathrobe Feb 1 '12 at 22:15

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.