Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I was reading the introduction page for Kirara Memorial Park (a public sports park) in Japan, and one of the features they listed was a 「月{つき}の海{うみ}」. As far as I can tell, in both English and Japanese this phrase only really has the meaning of "Lunar mare" or "Lunar seas" (the dark sections we can see on the moon). However, clearly this park's 月の海 is just a nice relaxing beach: see here.

Next to their 月の海, there is a 「太陽の丘」. If I had seen this by itself I would have just assumed it was the name of their hill...Google seems to confirm that it's just a cool name to give a hill. This makes me think they're going with a sun/moon naming theme, but I can't say that with authority.

What my question is, is there an apparent reason why they're calling their beach 月の海? By that I mean is there something I'm missing (a play on words or whatnot) that a Japanese person would catch and understand? Or is it just (as far as anyone can tell) a name they gave their beach (which, by the way, I think is an awesome name!).

share|improve this question

I can't say for sure if it's related to this, but there is a famous song called 月の砂漠, inspired by a beach in Chiba Prefecture. –  Paul Richter Jan 24 '12 at 3:03
Not quite sure, but it seems to me very akin to naming the two places "Moon Beach" and "Sun Hill." I don't think there's any particular logic to it, but I'll add this as a comment since I'm not sure. –  NattyBumppo Jan 24 '12 at 3:07

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

No reason in particular. Things get named like that, even/especially obscenely mundane things, to market them and make them seem special. You will see a lot of noncontroversial (often borderline propagandistic-sounding) "good things" in names like these. i.e. "Happiness," "Lovely," "Bright," and things that children like, like stars, the moon and the sun. There is no underlying meaning.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.