Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I was told 眠たい was an adjective, and that it is an exceptional case. How does it work as an adjective and what is its relation to the verb 眠る?

share|improve this question

'眠たい' is a colloquial version of '眠い', 'sleepy.' Maybe it has something to do with '眠りたい'(want to sleep), no? (Hmm... maybe not) –  Chocolate Jan 22 '12 at 1:28
What do you mean by "an exceptional case" –  fefe Jan 22 '12 at 1:59

@fefe in that it is related to a verb. –  yadokari Jan 22 '12 at 5:00
There is a somewhat similar case with 煙たい. (Conjugations can be described as 'irregular'. I'm not sure if it's useful to talk of derivations as 'irregular'. –  Bathrobe Jan 24 '12 at 0:11

@Bathrobe san, Ah, 煙い and 煙たい. 眠い and 眠たい. Then 重い and 重たい, right? What else... –  Chocolate Jan 27 '12 at 14:51
show 1 more comment

2 Answers

up vote 4 down vote accepted

Yes, 眠たい is an adjective. It's a synonym of 眠い, meaning "sleepy." (大辞泉 entry here.)

From what I can find (specifically, 大辞林's explanation), 眠たい is in fact related to 眠る, but the 「〜たい」 here is different from the desiderative "I want to" 「〜たい」. This 「〜たい」 is a shortened form of 甚{いた}い (or いたし, in its original form in older Japanese), which is a 連用形 verb ending in classical Japanese meaning "extremely X, where X is the state related to the verb." Here, this "state" is sleepiness. Note that this 甚{いた}い can attach to verbs and give them an emphatic adjectival meaning, and does not attach to adjectives.

めでたい (happy, fortunate) has a similar etymology: 愛{め}で (from the 連用形 of 愛{め}ず, the old form of 愛する) + 甚{いた}し.

Edit: Just to clarify, the original form of 眠たい was 眠{ねぶ}り甚{いた}し, but a combination of phonetic drift and other factors led it to eventually evolve into its current form.

share|improve this answer
add comment

It is an i-adjective because it conjugates as so.

眠たい, 眠たかった, 眠たくない, ...

Its relation to the verb 眠る cannot be handled systematically within derivational morphology. The stem of 眠る is nemur-, whereas 眠たい only uses a portion (nemu-) of it. So it has to be considered that this formation is idiosyncratic, not systematic. Note that the meaning is also idiosyncratic.

share|improve this answer
「眠くない」は、「眠たくない」では・・?(「眠たい、眠たかった、眠たくない」と「眠い、眠かった、眠くない」がセットになると・・) –  Chocolate Jan 22 '12 at 4:01

@Chocolate Thanks. That was my mistake. –  sawa Jan 22 '12 at 4:09
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.