Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

払{はら}う has a number of meanings, but to summarize, it means to chase away or brush off. I often see it used in combinations like 追{お}い[払]{はら}う, "to chase off", or "to drive away".

I recently came across the term はらって描{か}きます in a book about drawing. The whole sentence I saw it in can be read here.

I assume this はらう is 払う and not 祓う, "to exorcise, to purify". But what exactly does it mean? I'm pretty sure it isn't "to chase away and draw".

I think it might mean "to draw out", in the sense of "to flesh out" - to fill the drawing out by progressively adding detail and adjusting lines to achieve a finished picture.

But I'm not totally confident in that because the dictionary doesn't include any definitions that support a "to fill out" or "to flesh out" definition.

So to confirm whether my guess is right or not, I'd simply like to ask, what exactly does はらって描{か}きます mean?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

In your original question:

…などに注意{ちゅうい}をはらって描{か}きます。

I'm pretty sure it was referring to ~に注意を[払]{はら}う "pay attention to" rather than 払って[描]{か}きます.

I think I could try to write more about 払{はら}う, but that the Yahoo JE dictionary probably already does a better job of explaining than I would be able to.

share|improve this answer
So it is important to provide enough context. –  fefe Jan 21 '12 at 12:10

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was saying the @DaveMG should including more context in the question. I was about to comment on the question, but got some interruption ... –  fefe Jan 21 '12 at 12:37

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.