Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Today in my JLPT text book, I came across the word 解{げ}す.

I know that the kanji means "unravel", and it can be read 解{わか}る, and with that reading it's synonymous with 分{わ}かる, "to understand".

When I looked up 解{げ}す in the dictionary, it also seems to just mean "to understand" when read this way.

Which made me wonder - why use this reading instead of the usual 解{わか}る reading? Does it carry any extra or different nuance?

Is this reading as rare as I think it is, or is it just me that hasn't come across it very often?

share|improve this question
I mainly encounter this in the potential-negative, I think, as 解{げ}せない. It feels to me like "incomprehensible", "cannot fathom" etc., as opposed to "can't understand" -- like you can't even begin to unravel an explanation for it. It's mainly used when talking about failure to understand people's motivations, I think? –  Hyperworm Jan 21 '12 at 12:00

@hyperworm, answers are for answers :) –  silvermaple Jan 21 '12 at 16:55

@silvermaple I felt that I had too many "I think"s to put it as an answer, and it's not exactly fleshed out ;) Well, I'll post it. –  Hyperworm Jan 21 '12 at 19:31
@hyperworm, have confidence in yourself (^.^) –  silvermaple Jan 21 '12 at 19:33
add comment

2 Answers 2

up vote 3 down vote accepted

Moved to answer from comments.

I mainly encounter this in the potential-negative as 解{げ}せない. As opposed to 解{わか}らない ("don't understand"), 解{げ}せない feels more like the speaker has tried and failed to unravel any kind of explanation, as if the situation seems to defy all logic - "can't fathom/comprehend" feels like a close English equivalent.

It seems to come up a lot in the context of failure to understand people's motivations.

研究社 新和英中辞典 @ Weblio:

彼女がなぜあんなことを言ったのか解せないよ.
We can't understand why she said such a thing.

英辞郎 @ Space Alc:

What is beyond our comprehension is that
解せないのは<that以下>です。

share|improve this answer
add comment

The only common usages I can think of are 解{げ}せない and 解熱{げねつ}.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.