Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

When I talked about a relative and his パートナー visiting for Christmas, the person I was speaking to asked if his パートナー was male. Is this a common interpretation of パートナー? Is there a better word than パートナー to talk about a long-term opposite-sex partner who isn't married?

ガールフレンド was suggested, but in English, "girlfriend" wouldn't be a good choice of words as it tends to be used for short-term relationships, especially involving teenagers.

share|improve this question
I beg to differ that "girlfriend" (or "boyfriend" for that matter) is either used for short-term relationships and teenagers...it's more a way of saying someone you're seeing romantically, but not married to, at any age, isn't it? For example, my boss's mother in her 70's had a boyfriend for years (same age, both previously married). –  silvermaple Jan 21 '12 at 17:07
This question strikes me more as about the nuances in English than Japanese. The word 'partner' has different nuances merely across English dialects (British, US, Australian)... –  Dave Jan 21 '12 at 18:01

Like @silvermaple I disagree that girlfriend/boyfriend has such an implication in English (I'm in the US if that matters). I think these words are used in a whole range of situations - long term, short term, serious, just for fun, etc. –  atlantiza Jan 21 '12 at 18:51

3 Answers 3

I don't think パートナー has an implication of sex. It refers to work partner or partner in dance, sports, etc.

The goo dictionary has the following explanation:

1 共同で仕事をする相手。相棒。

2 ダンス・スポーツなどで二人一組になるときの相手。

3 つれあい。配偶者。

I don't recall I see the use of the third meaning very often.

share|improve this answer

パートナー does not imply homosexual partner, but since there are a few other ways to express a heterosexual partner whereas パートナー is about the only way to express a homosexual partner, it may be more likely that, when パートナー is used in the context of a sexual relationship, it refers to a homosexual partner.

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say...it doesn't imply a homosexual relationship but it does? –  silvermaple Jan 21 '12 at 17:09
@silvermaple. Think of Venn diagrams. Universal set = ways to express a relationship. Circle A = homosexual. Circle B = heterosexual. パートナー belongs to A and B simultaneously. A has more than one element. B only has that element. –  Flaw Jan 21 '12 at 18:26

As for the second question, any reason not to use 彼氏・彼女?

I hadn't heard those terms before! They're pronounced "kareshi" and "kanojo" respectively, right? According to goo, 彼女 can mean 愛人, which according to wiktionary can mean "a lover, a mistress; implies an extra-marital relationship.". Does this mean that adultery is implied? –  Andrew Grimm Jan 22 '12 at 0:29
Aijin implies adultory, whereas kanojo does not. Another word that would be safe to use is koibito. –  Mark Hosang Jan 22 '12 at 7:05

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.