Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I came across 03年度 and 09年度, and while the meaning is clear I didn't know the actual way of reading it. My first reaction was ゼロさんねんど, but I have no way of checking if that's right. I thought it might also be simply, さんねんど, but again I can't tell.

share|improve this question
detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/… 知恵袋で聞いてみました(他力本願?えへっ^^)いい答えが返ってくればいいのだけど・・・ –  Choko Jan 31 '12 at 8:45

1 Answer 1

I think we usually read them as さんねんど, きゅうねんど etc. I've never heard anyone say ゼロさんねんど or ゼロきゅうねんど. I think we write that way to differentiate (西暦/A.D.)03年度 from (平成)3年度.

share|improve this answer

I would read it as ゼロさんねんど and ゼロきゅうねんど, and I have never imagined anyone would read differently (because of my lack of imagination). –  Tsuyoshi Ito Jan 21 '12 at 0:47

@TsuyoshiIto san, Ah, really... Sorry it may be because I've never worked for a 'company' so maybe I just don't know it... I'll try to do some research and add some more information if I find anything... (or else maybe I'll take back my post...) –  Choko Jan 21 '12 at 5:08

Just in case, I do not know if ゼロさんねんど is more common than さんねんど. I had been simply assuming incorrectly that everyone reads it as ゼロさんねんど. So please do not remove the post because of my comment. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Jan 21 '12 at 5:31
@TsuyoshiIto san...誰かもう少し良い回答を寄せて欲しいと待っていますが・・誰も来ません。難しい質問なのでしょうか。ビジネスマンとかで詳しい人いそうなのに・・ –  Choko Jan 27 '12 at 14:58

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.