Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've seen several of my Japanese friends use "orz" in various types of posts on Facebook. What does "orz" mean? It's driving me nuts!

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 8 down vote accepted

Lol, sorry I often use it too... when I want to show that I'm shocked, sad or depressed...it's like OMG or something similar to it I think... because doesn't it look like someone throwing himself on the ground?

share|improve this answer
No, not at all. So you mean it's like a 顔文字 or something? –  istrasci Jan 20 '12 at 15:33
@istrasci san... Yes that's what I heard... The letter 'o' shows the head and 'z' shows the legs. And have you seen ノシ too? –  Chocolate Jan 20 '12 at 15:35
No, I've never seen ノシ either. What is that? Japanese people have very.....unique...imaginations. –  istrasci Jan 20 '12 at 16:04
@istrasci san, ノシ=Bye. (Looks like hands being waved good-bye, no?) –  Chocolate Jan 20 '12 at 16:53
AH! It totally does! orz! –  silvermaple Jan 20 '12 at 17:05
show 10 more comments

orz

"o" is for head, "r" for arm and body, and "z" for body and legs. I couldn't find any pictures of it, but found a picture of its variety "OTL".

http://hehehe.be/blog/2008/12/20/otl/

share|improve this answer
Lol, 'hehehe'...! This is so funny~~! –  Chocolate Jan 20 '12 at 16:41

AAHHHH!!! That picture made so much more sense. It's a side profile! Even with @Chocolate's description in his answer, I didn't really understand the pose it was trying to convey. –  istrasci Jan 20 '12 at 20:19

@istrasci san, …hisじゃなくて…her… –  Chocolate Jan 20 '12 at 22:55

@Chocolate: すみませんでした! m(_ _)m –  istrasci Jan 20 '12 at 23:28
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.