Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What is the etymology of the term 仏様 ? I am interested because of all the meanings this word can possess.

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 11 down vote accepted

It comes from two words: 仏{ほとけ} (hotoke, Buddha) and 様{さま} (an honorific suffix). さま is of course applied to many names towards which a large degree of deference is to be shown (gods, royalty, etc.).

But perhaps you're wondering about the origin of 仏{ほとけ}? That's a bit more complicated. According to the 大辞泉 dictionary, the word ほとけ originally came from a phonetic shift of the word ぶつ (a word for "Buddha" in Japanese) into the word ほと.

After this shift, the ending ~け was then applied, which means (loosely translated) "looks like" or "seems like," to mean "an image of Buddha." You can also see this ~け in words like ありげ and よさげ.

From this original meaning of "an image of Buddha," the meaning then shifted a bit through history to mean "Buddha," as well as "a spirit of the deceased."

I wouldn't say that 仏{ほとけ} really has many other meanings besides those above, although it's extremely versatile in idiomatic expressions, which can give it many uses.

share|improve this answer

cool beans. thank you. –  yadokari Jan 20 '12 at 3:27
Some scholars (Frellesvig/Whitman, Vovin?) believe that "hotoke" was a loanword direct from Korean. Since the (Old) Korean word must have come from China along with the religion, and 仏陀 was a phonetic loan in Chinese, it doesn't mean a different etymology -- just a different route from Sanskrit to Japanese. –  Matt Jan 20 '12 at 8:18

@natty i was interested in 仏 cuz I saw it used as god, buddha, ancestor, ghost...That's what i mean by a variety of meanings. thanks again –  yadokari Jan 21 '12 at 5:30

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.