Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I was reading a short news article on students taking entrance exams in Japan, and it listed the number of students from the prefecture who took what test.

Here is the excerpt I had a question about:

、、、、受験者数は、地理歴史・公民(1)2051人、同(2)4804人、、、、

It goes on to list subjects and give the number of people taking the test.

I know is used to like "the above-mentioned [blank]", usually about a group or organization, but here I think it's referencing to the subjects. I'm a little hesitant on the (1) and (2) parts.

What I think it says is this that 2051 people are taking the 地理{ちり}歴史{れきし} (geography and history) and 4804 people are taking 公民{こうみん} (civics). What I don't understand is why 地理歴史・公民 has to be broken up like it is. All the other subjects are listed individually (including separating "foreign language" and "English listening").

So my question is two-fold. A) Did I understand it correctly, and B) Why was it written like it was?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

「地理歴史・公民」is a group of subjects which includes「世界史A」、「世界史B」、「日本史A」、「日本史B」、「地理A」、「地理B」、「現代社会」、「倫理」、「政治・経済」、「倫理、政治・経済」.

(1) and (2) show how many of these each student chose.

share|improve this answer

Woooah, that's a lot of subjects, no wonder they didn't list them all... –  silvermaple Jan 16 '12 at 23:23

Is it common to abbreviate “地理歴史・公民 (1科目受験)” as “地理歴史・公民 (1)”? If I were reading the newspaper article in question, I would not understand its meaning! –  Tsuyoshi Ito Jan 17 '12 at 0:45

yozemi.ac.jp/nyushi/joho/12/center_henko/index.html blog.livedoor.jp/dg_law/archives/51989960.html 最近変更されたようです・・ –  Choko Jan 17 '12 at 5:12

I know that they changed the system this year. But I only saw “地理歴史・公民 (1科目受験),” and if the author of the newspaper article abbreviated it as “地理歴史・公民 (1),” it seems to me like a terrible invention by the author. I am still unconvinced that it really means that. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Jan 17 '12 at 6:19

新聞のどっか端っこに(注)があるべきかもしれませんね・・・ –  Choko Jan 17 '12 at 6:35

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.