Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What is the meaning of "マスオさんする" in the following self-introduction extract?

家は表参道と近所ですが、特段お金持ちなわけではありません、妻の実家でマスオさんしてます。

My translation attempt:

I live near Omotesando, but I am not rich: I "do M. Masuo" at my wife's parents' place.

share|improve this question
Now my translation sounds very wrong at many levels... –  Nicolas Raoul Jan 16 '12 at 6:00

The original sentence says 近所です so it'd be like 'I live "near" Omotesando st.', which means he lives in an upper-class residential area. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omotesand%C5%8D,_Tokyo Although this person lives in this area, he says he's not especially rich, because/so he and his wife (and maybe their kids too) live in his wife's parents' house. –  Chocolate Jan 16 '12 at 7:49
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 13 down vote accepted

According to Zokugo-dict:

Masuo-san refers to the husband of Sazae-san in the popular anime "Sazae-san", Fuguta Masuo. Masao-san lives together with Sazae-san and their parents at their parent's home, and it's come to mean a person who lives at their wife's parents' home.

Furthermore, it's become used in a broader sense to refer to a son-in-law taken into a family (婿{むこ}養{よう}子{し}; in the Anime Masuo keeps his Fuguta name, so isn't a 婿養子.)

In particular, because in 1989 these kind of males increased, the expression "Masuo-san" became a trending phenomena.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.