Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I was wondering if there is a form I can use to express "more than X".

For example, "reading more than 200 pages a day is a challenge". Or maybe something like, "reading as much as 200 pages a day is a challenge", or "I have never read so many pages before".

share|improve this question

possible duplicate of Do 以上 and 以下 include the number preceding them? –  Flaw Jan 15 '12 at 23:10

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

I'd probably write them like:

• 一日に200ページ以上を読むのは大変だ。
    "Reading more than 200 pages a day is difficult."
    ("200 or more pages a day" but I'm not sure the difference of a single page matters here.)

• 一日に200ページも読むのは大変だ。
    "Reading as much as 200 pages a day is difficult."

• これまでこんなページ数を読んだことがなかった。
    "Until now I haven't read such a number of pages."

According to Chocolate's comment, it looks like is better than ほど for expressing a degree here. According to Edict, the second sense of is:

2: about (emphasizing an upper limit), as much as, even

You could probably use 難しい/チャレンジ/大チャレンジ etc in place of 大変. 読むことは大変 could also be used instead of 読むのは(が)大変 I think.

I have no idea if these sentences are natural or not so please consider this a temporal answer...

share|improve this answer
I'd say '一日に200ページ"も"読むのは大変だ' for the 2nd example –  Choko Jan 16 '12 at 0:49

@Chocolate thanks! I made so many mistakes in that sentence >_<. I didn't know could be used that way, is it just that sounds more natural or is ほど incorrect in some way? –  cypher Jan 16 '12 at 1:13

@cyper san, I think 'こんなに' in「今まで'こんな(に)'(+たくさん/多くのetc.)…を…したことはない」(like in your 3rd example sentence) can be replaced with 'これほど'. But 'ほど' in「一日に200ページ'ほど'読むのは…」sounds like 'about.' –  Choko Jan 16 '12 at 8:06

Am I the only one who thinks that 一日に200ページ以上読むのは大変だ sounds more natural (correct?) than 一日に200ページ以上読むのは大変だ? I never studied Japanese grammar formally, so I don't know the rules, but I think this is because ページ is a counter, not a noun, i.e. there is an implicit 一日に(本などを)200ページ以上読むのは大変だ。Slightly off topic, sorry... –  dainichi Jan 19 '12 at 9:30

@dainichi I asked a couple of people, they basically said it was natural with or without (though more common without). They said that with the it was an objective which makes the speaker think it depends on what the reader is reading how difficult it is, and without it's an adverbial usage which focuses on pages in general. –  cypher Jan 21 '12 at 21:57

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.