Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In daily life, I usually hear the words お客様{きゃくさま}, お客{きゃく}さん, and maybe other variants that use 客{きゃく}/客{かく} to refer to customers at a shop.

However, in the dictionary, the first word that comes up for customer is 顧客{こきゃく}.

I feel like I've never heard that word, though it wouldn't be the first time I realize a word I was unfamiliar with had actually been all around me all along.

When is 顧客{こきゃく} used, and how does it differ from the other variants of 客{きゃく}?

share|improve this question

Can 客様 be used without お (お客様)? –  fefe Jan 15 '12 at 14:55
Hmm, I don't think I ever heard 客様/客さん/[客]{かく}... Ah, you mean お客様/お客さん/お客? But we don't say お[客]{かく}.... '顧客' is more likely to be translated as 'client', no? –  Choko Jan 15 '12 at 15:03

I see. Well usually they address their customers as 'お客様', sometimes as お客さん. When they talk about customers they say お客/お客さん. 顧客 is more formal, and more likely to be said in a meeting or written in a document. –  Choko Jan 16 '12 at 1:22

p.s. Ah, and 顧客 is used in the news/newspapers too. –  Choko Jan 16 '12 at 1:28
@DaveMG san, Lol sorry, I thought these were not enough to be an answer cos I didn't refer to any sources... –  Choko Jan 16 '12 at 3:13
show 1 more comment

1 Answer

up vote 5 down vote accepted

[顧客]{こきゃく}:

• 客/おとくいの客/customer/custom/client/patron/patronage

お[客様]{きゃくさま}/お客/客:

• たずねてくる人([訪問客]{ほうもんきゃく}/[来客]{らいきゃく})
  • [招]{まね}かれてくる人([招待客]{しょうたいきゃく})
  • [旅館]{りょかん}に[泊]{と}まる人/caller/visitor/ company/guest
  • [物]{もの}を[買]{か}う人/customer
  • 物を[見]{み}に[来]{く}る人([観客]{かんきゃく})/audience/spectator
  • [船]{ふね}や[車]{くるま}に[乗]{の}る人([乗客]{じょうきゃく})/passenger

Shop owners/sales clerks usually address their customers as 'お客様', and sometimes as 'お客さん', which sounds less polite and formal. When they just talk about customers, they might say 'お客さん/お客'.

'顧客' is more formal (but not 'polite', so they never address their customers as '顧客様' or '顧客さん'.), and I think it is more likely to be used in a meeting or written in a document, and in the news/newspapers too.

share|improve this answer
I think the one thing you said in the comments that you forgot to include in your answer is that 顧客 is more accurately translated as "client". –  Dave M G Jan 16 '12 at 15:06

@DaveMG san, あ・・・ –  Choko Jan 16 '12 at 15:48
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.