Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How can I change a statement like どこへいきますか to mean "Where should I go"? Basically, what is the rule for changing a question into a request for advice?

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 5 down vote accepted

All of the following could be used:

"where should I go?"

どこへ行{い}けばいいですか?
どこへ行ったらいいですか?
どこへ行くべきですか?

"where should I go I wonder", sounds a little softer:

どこへ行こうかな?

According to this blog post, there isn't a lot of difference in meaning between 良{よ}い and いい, but 良い gives an impression of being more formal and is more likely to be used in written form and いい more likely to be used in spoken form. If in doubt, I think it's best to stick to いい.

share|improve this answer
どこへ行っていいですか? means 'Where is it ok to go?', which isn't the requested meaning. Using 良い makes it sound very formal. –  Bathrobe Jan 15 '12 at 4:06

@Bathrobe oops, I think you're right about どこへ行っていいですか...I've edited my post, thanks! –  cypher Jan 15 '12 at 4:36
どこへ行っていいですかis not natural Japanese. If you want to say 'Where is it OK to go,' it'd be more like 'どこなら行ってもいいですか'/'行ってもいい場所はどこですか'. –  Chocolate Jan 15 '12 at 6:10

どこへ行っていいです is fine in conversation. It means 'where is it permissible to go'. –  Bathrobe Jan 15 '12 at 6:49
add comment

I would use どこへ行けばいい? for 'where should I go?'

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.