Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have been living in Japan now for the last 3 months and my hair is starting to look like it needs a cut. But I have never been to a Japanese barbers before so as you can imagine I am a little nervous about it.

I have a couple of questions about getting you hair cut in Japanese:

What are common/useful words/phrases that can be used when getting your haircut?

Specifically it would be nice to know how to say I want certain parts of my hair a certain length and I would like to ask if they can thin it out (because my hair is ridiculously thick).

Aside from those two specific things are there any other useful phrases, words or anything else that would be useful to learn before going to the barbers in Japan?

[second, off-topic, part edited out]

share|improve this question
The second part is not about language. But it will depend on the barber. They will try to talk to you, it they can find something to talk about. Sometimes they also got nervous talking to a foreigner :) And the barber I went in Japan has picture book of various different hair styles. You can just pick one out. The barber would take appointment, but for the place I went it is OK to just walk in. They don't have that many customers there :) –  fefe Jan 9 '12 at 13:51
Don't be frightened if he starts massaging you. –  Louis Jan 9 '12 at 14:24
Sorry, but the second part of your question, interesting as it may be, was squarely off-topic for JLU (try Yahoo Answers or some similar place). Since the first part has its place here, however, I simply edited your question accordingly. –  Dave Jan 9 '12 at 14:50

@fefe Thank you for your comment! I will have to see what they do in the barbers around here but any information I can get to mentally prepare myself is always good :) I hated going to the barbers even in England. –  Sour Lemon Jan 9 '12 at 15:18

@Louis Thanks for the information - I would certainly be surprised if that happened without me knowing about it beforehand. –  Sour Lemon Jan 9 '12 at 15:18

1 Answer 1

up vote 12 down vote accepted

Thin it out. すいてください。
Thin out this part. このあたりを、すいてください。
I want this part this long. ここを、このくらいの[長]{なが}さにしてください。
Keep the front. [前]{まえ}[髪]{がみ}を[残]{のこ}してください。
Take about 1 centimeter off my bangs. [前]{まえ}[髪]{がみ}を1センチくらい[切]{き}ってください。
Shorten it in back by about 5 centimeters. [後]{うし}ろを5センチくらい[切]{き}ってください。
Trim a little more. もう[少]{すこ}し[切]{き}ってください。
Trim this part a little more. このあたりを、もう[少]{すこ}し[切]{き}ってください。
Can you make it look like this photo? この[写]{しゃ}[真]{しん}のようにしてください。/こんなふうにしてください。
Can I make an appointment for a haircut. カットの[予]{よ}[約]{やく}をしたいのですが。
How much is it for just a simple cut? カットはいくらですか。
How much is it for a cut and shampooing? カットとシャンプーだといくらですか。
How long will it take? どのくらいかかりますか。

Hmm...what else?

share|improve this answer
@dbassett Your assumption is wrong. The すく here is the transitive verb 梳く, not the intransitive verb 空く. They have different accents. 梳く is "SUku" (high low) whereas 空く is "suKU" (low hight). If you hadn't known this verb, then you shouldn't argue about it. –  user458 Jan 9 '12 at 18:58
@Chocolate It is not a slang, it is ordinary Japanese ... according to our ordinary minds speaking normal Japanese. dbassett seems to be a super-genious who has a different mind, speaking some kind of a super-Japanese that we cannot comprehend. –  user458 Jan 9 '12 at 23:20
笑!嫌味にしか聞こえへん~ww お返事ありがとうございます!^^ –  Choko Jan 9 '12 at 23:26
@Chocolate 関西の方でしたか。それなら、梳く空く のアクセントが私の書いたのとは逆かも知れませんね。 –  user458 Jan 9 '12 at 23:36

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.