On this page, different readings are give in different dictionaries for べき乗打切り待機法: べきのりうちきりたいきほう in JMDict and ベキジョウウチキリタイキホウ in コンピューター用語辞典. The English translation given in both dictionaries are the same: "truncated binary exponential back-off".

Which of these readings is correct? Or, if they are both correct, can they be used interchangeably?

I know the べき乗 for exponent is read as べきじょう. Where does the reading べきのり come from?

Note: I don't actually use the word, nor do I understand its exact meaning. I saw it on this answer. I know べき乗 is read as べきじょう, which means exponential, so I thought the reading in the answer was wrong. I tried to find out what it actually means, but search results from the internet are mostly dictionary results. Most of the readings given are べきのりうちきりたいきほう.

1 Answer 1

冪乗 (“power” or “powering” in mathematics; often written as べき乗 because “冪” is not a 常用漢字) is read as べきじょう. Reading it as べきのり is wrong. Moreover, translating “truncated binary exponential back-off” as べき乗打切り待機法 is also incorrect (where did “binary” go?).

I think that “exponential back-off” is usually translated as 指数バックオフ or 指数的バックオフ. I do not know a standard translation of “truncated binary exponential back-off.”

Where does the reading べきのり come from?

JMDict contains many errors. This is just one of them. And an error in a “dictionary” spreads out quickly because many pages are automatically generated from the underlying data of JMDict.

• I think the wrong translation should be the reason why I didn't find any description of the method on the internet.
    – fefe
    Jan 6, 2012 at 15:32

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .