Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

On this page, different readings are give in different dictionaries for べき乗打切り待機法: べきのりうちきりたいきほう in JMDict and ベキジョウウチキリタイキホウ in コンピューター用語辞典. The English translation given in both dictionaries are the same: "truncated binary exponential back-off".

Which of these readings is correct? Or, if they are both correct, can they be used interchangeably?

I know the べき乗 for exponent is read as べきじょう. Where does the reading べきのり come from?

Note: I don't actually use the word, nor do I understand its exact meaning. I saw it on this answer. I know べき乗 is read as べきじょう, which means exponential, so I thought the reading in the answer was wrong. I tried to find out what it actually means, but search results from the internet are mostly dictionary results. Most of the readings given are べきのりうちきりたいきほう.

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

冪乗 (“power” or “powering” in mathematics; often written as べき乗 because “冪” is not a 常用漢字) is read as べきじょう. Reading it as べきのり is wrong. Moreover, translating “truncated binary exponential back-off” as べき乗打切り待機法 is also incorrect (where did “binary” go?).

I think that “exponential back-off” is usually translated as 指数バックオフ or 指数的バックオフ. I do not know a standard translation of “truncated binary exponential back-off.”

Where does the reading べきのり come from?

JMDict contains many errors. This is just one of them. And an error in a “dictionary” spreads out quickly because many pages are automatically generated from the underlying data of JMDict.

share|improve this answer

I think the wrong translation should be the reason why I didn't find any description of the method on the internet. –  fefe Jan 6 '12 at 15:32

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.