Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

For example, while I am running I feel great. This makes me feel happy.

When doing lots of work for low wages I feel tired.

What are the common ways to express my physiological/psychological state?

share|improve this question

Is it your policy to type the first person pronoun in small case? –  sawa Jan 6 '12 at 7:13
@sawa. I do not think it is useful to nitpick in this circumstance. –  Flaw Jan 6 '12 at 10:13
@Flaw This kind of styling is due to sloppyness unless it is an intended style (That is why I asked). It is not something that you need advanced knowledge, nor is it a mistake. If someone is asking a question, they should ask in a neat format. That is the etiquette, at least among Japanese speaking people. –  sawa Jan 6 '12 at 10:53
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 4 down vote accepted
  • 気持ちいい 'feel good'
  • 爽快だ '(often after sweating, or drinking carbonated drink, etc.) feel refreshed'
  • 疲れた 'got tired'
  • 飽きた 'got bored'
  • うんざりだ 'be sick of'
share|improve this answer
Let me add 気持ち悪い'feel sick'--Maybe it's like when you feel like throwing up? –  Chocolate Jan 6 '12 at 9:27
Can we simply use psycho/physiological adjectives as an exclamation? E.g. "うれしい", "悲しい", "寂しい", "厚い", "寒い", "痛い" etc. –  Flaw Jan 6 '12 at 10:07

It's 暑い, not 厚い… –  Chocolate Jan 6 '12 at 17:32
add comment

It depends on physiological/psychological state.
「気持ちいい」- "I feel good"
「よく汗をかく」- "I worked well" ("work" = "exercise")
「楽しい」- "It's enjoy", "It's pleasure" etc.
「疲れた」- "I feel tired"
「さっぱりだ」- "I`m feeling refreshed"
etc.

share|improve this answer

Hmm, さっぱりだ sounds more like 全然/全然だめだ/全くだめだ to me... When you feel refreshed you might say さっぱりした, no? –  Chocolate Jan 6 '12 at 17:39

I heard "さっぱり!!!" from japanese after onsen... Of course, it has a few meanings. –  Lyu-lyu Jan 7 '12 at 1:09

「さっぱり!!」 can be 「爽快だ」 and 「全然だ」, but 「さっぱりだ。」cannot be 「爽快だ」 nor can 「さっぱりした。」 be 「全然だ」. –  Chocolate Jan 8 '12 at 13:03
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.