Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is there one? Or does it even matter? I personally start at the top and go clockwise. Just curious.

Update: I realized the other day that the reason I start at the 12-o'clock position and go clockwise is because this is the same motion (more or less) used when writing あ, お, め, ぬ, の, etc.

share|improve this question
I start at the top and go anti-clockwise. –  Flaw Jan 5 '12 at 3:12

@Flaw-san So do I. –  Chocolate Jan 5 '12 at 15:53
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 4 down vote accepted

Well, a han-dakuten isn't a kanji, so I would say that it doesn't matter one way or another. However, the actual kanji has a "stroke order" (stroke direction?) of a single stroke starting at the top and going counter-clockwise. (Link) So, if does have one, my bet is that's what it is.

share|improve this answer

That being said, I always go clockwise... –  silvermaple Jan 5 '12 at 3:16

Lol!! What kanji is that 〇 btw? –  Chocolate Jan 5 '12 at 15:56

@Chocolate It's "zero" or "circle" (as in what is used for correcting papers) ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/… It's a relatively new kanji, as these things go, apparently. Also, I'm not sure why this answer was downvoted: I provided a source to back up what I said, I answered the question, I can't guarantee it's correct, but Comments are not for Answers: meta.japanese.stackexchange.com/q/593/921 –  silvermaple Jan 5 '12 at 16:56

Lol, I don't see why your answer was downvoted either. Well we usually don't call 'zero'/'circle' a kanji so I got a bit confused. Thanks for the feedback anyway. –  Chocolate Jan 5 '12 at 17:13
Why does whether han-dakuten is kanji or not matters? Kana letters have stroke orders, too. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Jan 6 '12 at 15:15
show 2 more comments

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.